Having the National Insurance (NI) is mandatory in order to get the sole trader status.

If you are a British Citizen

It is super easy: you have received it upon your sixteenth birthday. Just go back on the previous article to get your self-employed status and you're good to go!

Start working as freelancer

If you have moved to the UK for University:

You may have a National Insurance (NI) number printed on the back of your biometric residence permit (BRP). You don’t need to apply for a National Insurance number if you already have one, or if one is printed on your BRP.

If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you must apply. You can only apply for it once you’re in the UK. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.

If nothing was give to you upon your arrival in the country you will to apply for one.

Unfortunately, it cannot be done on the internet and you will have to book a physical appointment. Here's the number: 0345 600 0643

During the call, the Job Centre Plus will ask you about your residential and current employment status in the UK (just say you wish to become a freelancer) and you will be given an appointment with your local Job Centre Plus

On the appointment you will need to bring the following documents:

  • Passport/ID Card
  • Residence Permit
  • Birth/Adoption certificate
  • Marriage/civil partnership (if applicable)
  • Driving licence (if applicable)
  • Proof of being a student (an official Uni document)
  • Proof of address (rental agreement, official letter or bill)

Bear in mind that even though this is long process, by obtaining your NI, you will be allowed to work in the UK afterwards ! Crème de la Crème is a great start to gain experience but one day you will need to find a job/internship 😉

Have a look at our blog !

Avez-vous trouvé votre réponse?